Thursday, June 02, 2005

I have come to a conclusion.

The DVLA is staffed by Vogons.

Seriously, I had to renew my car tax, which should involve me taking a form down to the post office, paying the good people there lots of money, and me walking away poorer, but legal.

However... Said form did not arrive, so I made enquiries to find out how I could still be poor and legal. The answer was I had to fill in another form, which would require extra documentation, which would enable to to fill in another form so I could then fill in a form to take with me to the post office.

Vogons, I tell you.

It's not that I have anything against administrators. Quite the opposite, if fact. My own admin skills being somewhat challenged (my filing is not so much a 'system,' as an 'intention,') I am eternally grateful to anyone who can help and guide and be generally administratively useful. However there is a definite line that sometimes get crossed that goes from helpful administration to sheer bloodyminded paper creating that means you end up having to fill forms in to fill forms in to fill forms in. The kind of mind that could come up with this, quite frankly, scares the bejibbleys out of me.
I mean can you imagine going home to someone whose mind works like that? Before you ate, you would have to triple scrub your hands, send tests off to a laboratory, and get independent confirmation that your hands were indeed, clean.

It's Vogon, through and through.

And the end result? Well, my carefully filled out forms were put to the side, with a comment of , 'You don't actually need those forms'. (Cue incredulity and internal aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrg from me)
'Have you got form V2/5? Ahh, no that's not form V2/5, that's form V2/5 supplement. If you look closely you can see, in the small type.'
I'm afraid that at this point it all got a bit too much for me, but the lady behind the desk must have noticed, as she softened instantly from Vogon to granny.
"Actually, I can still do it from this form, although you really do need to get a copy of the other form as soon you can." And then she gave me the kind of advice that lovely, helpful administrators give.

And so, I left. Poorer, but thankfully, legal.

2 Comments:

Blogger simo said...

This is of course how things now have to work, this is progress! As a dyslexic student you would not believe the amount of paper work involved in getting a grant to help you do paper work! I think these people should join the Cirius Cybernetics Corporation when the revolution comes!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't even get me started on the DVLA and the hoops we had to jump through to get Beth so she was allowed to drive in the UK... To cut a long story short, although in theory a Canadian licence can be directly exchanged for a British, she took the driving test from scratch anyway as it was less hassle and didn't involve it being illegal for her to drive her car for a couple of months about a year after she moved over here!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home